By: Spencer Collins
Banner Photo: Julie Corder Photography
Charlotte. Get Your Butt in Gear!
I am probably the last person who should be writing this article considering I’m sitting here dreaming about chips and dip. But hey, I got the SKINNY Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks today, so #progress.
When I moved to Charlotte a year and a half ago, I had probably been to the gym twice over the past year. I was working two jobs in Las Vegas and had a busy social life that I prioritized over the gym. When I had free time, I wanted to sleep, not work out. However, when I moved to Charlotte I knew I had to get my butt in gear. I joined a gym and for a bit was going regularly.
But like always, I started slacking. It didn’t matter how many times I didn’t go to the gym though, my monthly fee always came out of my bank account. Such a waste. That’s what I’m here for. To tell you that you DON’T have to dish out money every month for a gym membership if you don’t want to. There are tons of workouts here in the Queen City that are basically free.
I know multiple people who go to STAX bootcamp. They all say it is the hardest workout they have ever done.
There are over 100 people that go to this FREE class every Monday and Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. And did I mention Randy Moss is one of the trainers. Yes, THE Randy Moss, one of the greatest wide receivers to ever play in the NFL. The other trainer is Emily “Breeze” Ross-Watson. She worked out through much of her pregnancy, serving as an inspiration to others, because if she could do it, then you definitely should be able to.
STAX is located at 3722 South Tryon St.
Are You a Charlotte Runner?
If you’re a runner, there are an infinite amount of options.
- Sunday-Lenny Boy at noon. They have both a 1.5 mile and 3 mile route. You also get a 6oz glass of their 100% organic kombucha.
- Monday- Heist Brewery. Event starts at 6:00 p.m. Run starts at 6:30. They have 1, 3, and 5 mile course options. Afterwards they have a band, prizes, and raffles. After 8 stamps you get a complimentary menu item ($12 and under.) You can also get a Run Club Membership. It’s $25 a year and Includes 10% off all food at Heist, A 20oz instead of 16oz beer pour, annual members party, 20% of Heist apparel, and a shirt.
- Tuesday-Brazwell’s at 7:00 p.m. The group does a 5k route and then enjoys food and drinks.
- Wednesday- Noda Brewing at 6:30 p.m. The group meets at the original location at 2229 N. Davidson Street for either a 1, 3, or 5 mile run. When you’re done, time for beer. Their slogan, “Beer has calories, running burns calories.”
- Thursday- Triple C Brewing at 6:30 p.m. They have routes anywhere from 1-5 miles.
- Friday- The Peculiar Rabbit at 7:00 p.m. They have a 2.5 mile or 4 mile route. The run is followed by drinks.
- Saturday- Smelly Cat Coffee at 9:00 a.m. They run a 3 mile route and then hang out for good coffee.
If yoga is your thing, you’ve probably already heard about Olde Mecklenburg’s Yoga on Tap. If not, you need to go. I will admit, I’m not really into yoga. I am not flexible and I get frustrated easily with things I can’t do. So instead of it being a peaceful experience, I am frustrated (don’t worry, I’m getting better at just laughing at myself.) However, I have been to this yoga class and it's awesome. It's an experience! It starts at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, but you’ll want to get there early if you don’t want to be crammed in the back. P.S. This is basically free because your $5 yoga class gets you a FREE beer.
Athleta at SouthPark Mall offers a variety of classes on Sunday. Check their schedule for more info.
There are many other FREE workouts in the Queen City that I could go on and on about, but this article is already at 680 words, so I will leave you with these.