If you’re looking to move to here and wanted to know more about the city itself, here’s a quick list of 10 facts everyone already living here should know. And if you’re a Charlottean, and you didn’t know these, you should definitely keep reading.
We also asked realtors from Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices, because if they’re going to sell you a home in Charlotte, you better believe they know what living in Charlotte’s like.
Here’s our list:
1. First of all, we call ourselves Charlotteans. If you’re gonna live here, accept it now.
2. Charlotte has a couple nicknames. The most popular one, ‘Queen City’, is named after Queen Charlotte herself. She was the wife of King George III from 1768, when the Colonies were still a thing and stuff. We love a mini-historical background.
3. Downtown is actually referred to as ‘uptown’. It’s probably because Charlotte’s on the come-up. Just kidding, we don’t know the real reason. But the Charlotte on the come-up part is true. #CharLit
4. The Bank of America Stadium, located ‘uptown’ (see what we did there?), is home to the Carolina Panthers. Fun fact, Cam Newton won the MVP award in 2015, the same year we made it to the 2015 Super Bowl. #keeppounding
5. In relation to other sports, the Charlotte Hornets used to be a baseball team. It then became our basketball team, giving us more nicknames such as, ‘The Hornet’s Nest’ and ‘Buzz City’.
6. Charlotte is the third largest banking center in the U.S. We used to be in second place, and then San Francisco beat us. But hey guess what, it’s way more affordable to live here than San Francisco and New York City. So, who’s really winning? A realtor could fact check that in a hot second.
7. We have the biggest man-made whitewater river at the U.S. National WhiteWater Center where guests can rock-climb, kayak, zip-line, and participate in many other various outdoor activities. Aside from physical exercise, they also have River Jams during certain parts of the year.
8. This one’s a meteorologically proven FACT. Optimistically, you will absolutely be able to experience all 4 seasons in the city of Charlotte within the span of a year, or a month, or a week, and sometimes even days. It gets weird, y’all. Bring a raincoat, and some flip flops because you’ll never know. We still don’t.
9. All jokes aside, let’s take a peek into Charlotte’s future for a bit. This city is growing, and we mean ridiculously fast. The businesses, job opportunities, and events both big and small are all steadily growing that it’s no wonder our population is also amongst that list.
10. Charlotte has a pretty special gold-mining history. In fact, there’s an entire network of tunnels that were used for gold mining back in the 1800s just beneath our city. So, if you do decide to move here, hit up Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices, and you’ll hit the jackpot.